Easy tips to help ensure your AC unit is in tip-top shape!
Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. Here in Auburn and surrounding areas, we have already experienced summer-like weather and you may have already turned on your air conditioning system. There are a few things you can do to get your A/C system ready for the warm weather and make it run more economically and efficiently.
- Clear all debris from around the condensing unit. Make sure it is clear of leaves and any vegetation. Ensure there is no debris on the fan blades either. (Note: make sure the unit is off before handling any parts of the equipment.)
- Replace or clean the filter. This is very important! The filter is what catches dust, pollen and other allergens, preventing them from entering your house. If the filter is choked with dust, it slows down the cold airflow and makes the system run harder and longer
- If the condensing unit is in direct sun during any part of the day, consider planting a shade tree or bushes near it. This will improve the system’s cooling function.
- Lubricate the motor. Make sure the power is off to the unit and consult the owner’s manual for specific information. To access the motor, you will need to remove the side grill from the unit. Locate the fan motor oil ports above the fan blade and place a few drops of lightweight household oil in to each port.
- Schedule a Preventative Maintenance visit with a reliable company. This service provides a complete inspection of your unit and a check of all components to ensure that everything works properly. Every manufacturer recommends routine maintenance. In addition, many warranties state in the fine print that the homeowner is required to maintain their equipment or the warranty may become void. The small investment in an air conditioner tune-up will be well-worth it!Now is the time to get your A/C system ready for the warm summer weather. The above tips are easy-to-do and will reward you with a cool, comfortable home!